You are here: Malvern Hills District Council > Licensing > Licences S - Z > Street Trading

Street Trading Licence/ Consent

Licence summary

If you trade in the street you may require a street trading consent.  Currently this is not the case in Malvern Hills district. 

Applications should be made in writing (including by electronic means) to the district council for the area you wish to trade.

Where consent is required, you must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.

Street trading means the sale of goods or articles, including food, from persons on foot or from vehicles or stalls in the street.  Non-chartered markets are included.

Although the Law allows councils to adopt provisions for both street trading licences and street trading consents, we only deal with consents.  This allows us to foster trade and commerce in the District whilst retaining control by the giving or withholding of consent.  There are no "licensed pitches" and there is nothing to stop more than one consent being given for one road.

There is no right of appeal against refusal by a Council to grant a street trading consent.

Eligibility Criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a consent.

Consents will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • there isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • you are unsuitable to hold a licence do to any previous convictions or for other reasons
  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence
  • there are established traders in the locality selling similar articles 
Regulation Summary

Read the legislation controlling street trading

Application Evaluation Process

We will consult with the relevant town or parish council and the Police and Highways department before deciding whether or not to allow you to trade.

We will take into account the following matters when reaching our decision:

  1. Responses from Consultees (relevant town or parish council and the Police and Highways department and other interested parties).
  2. The proposed siting and design of the street trading vehicle/stall etc and whether it enhances the vitality of the shopping area within the immediate vicinity.
  3. Any potential obstruction to the free flow of pedestrians or of vehicles in the street, with special regard for the visually impaired.
  4. Road safety, either arising from the siting of the street trading vehicle/ stall or as a result of customers visiting or leaving the vicinity, including existing traffic orders and waiting restrictions.
  5. The nature of the proposed goods to be traded and whether this will create conflict with the trade of adjacent, established shops.
  6. Whether the proposed siting of the street trading vehicle/stall etc obstructs the frontage of adjacent established shops.
  7. The numbers, distribution and location of existing street trading consents.
  8. The likelihood of excessive noise, odour and litter being generated.
  9. Whether the proposal would conflict with any other policies of the Council.
 Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 90 days.

If you have not heard from us within ten days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

This service is not currently supported.

Apply by Post There are currently no application fees nor form.
Failed Application Redress

Please contact us.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a commercial premises should contract the Worcestershire Hub  phone number 01684 862151

Trade Associations


Get help at:  

Worcestershire Regulatory Services (Licensing)
Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House
Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire WR14 3AF  DX: 17608 Malvern

Customer Contact Centre 01527 881395

Email: (please start the subject heading with MHDC enquiry)


Page Information
This page was last reviewed 15 October 2013 at 14:38 by Cassandra Zoro.
The page is next due for review 13 April 2014.
Email this page
Email to a Friend
Fill in the required details below to email this page to a friend.
You have
Add to Favourites Facebook Twitter
Map of Worcestershire Bromsgrove District Council Malvern District Council Redditch Borough Council Worcester City Council Wychavon District Council Wyre Forest District Council
The county of Worcestershire includes the districts of:

Google Translate
Malvern Hills District Council, Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF - Directions to Council Offices.